How to Adopt a Dog
Thank you for considering adopting a rescue dog! Here are the three steps you’ll need to take to adopt a dog from DPA!
Step one: Find the right dog
Browse our dogs online or come to our of our adoption events to meet our dogs.
We want to help you find the perfect dog for you. If you have any questions about any of the dogs, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Step two: Adopting a dog
Once you’ve found the right dog for you, you’re ready to adopt. In total, this process can take up to an hour.
- You’re encouraged to spend at least 30 minutes with the dog you want to adopt.
- You must fill out our application and meet with an adoption counselor.
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must show a picture ID with your current address. If this isn’t available, we will accept a picture ID with a current utility bill.
- You must show proof of landlord approval or home ownership if you are considering a dog or puppy that might have visual characteristics of a pit bull terrier (even if they are subtle).
- A DPA!-conducted “meet and greet” with current household dogs is generally recommended for all adult dogs.
Our adoption fee varies per dog, depending upon age, breed, and medical/behavioral conditions. This fee includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Heartworm test on dogs over 6 months
- First or more vaccinations
- First or more deworming treatment
- Personality evaluation
- Rabies vaccine (if dog is four months or older)
- Note: sometimes adoption fees will be higher if a puppy/dog had a lot of medical costs.
Accepted forms of payment include cash, credit, checks, debit cards or money order payable to Dallas Pets Alive!
Step three: Please follow the post-adoption instructions
Congratulations on finding your new family member! Don’t forget to complete the post-adoption instructions:
- Within 3 days of adoption, you will receive an email from us with your new dog’s medical records. If you do not receive this email, please contact us at 214-444-9DPA (214-444-9372) or email@example.com.
- We will contact you periodically after adoption to ensure your newly adopted pet is working out in your new home. Please respond to our inquiries within 24 hours.
- If you need any help, please call us at 214-444-9DPA (214-444-9372) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
View Our Adoptable Dogs Online
Help us care for our adoptable pets by providing funds for their care. Below are suggested donation amounts corresponding to specific needs.
$10 – Microchip
$25 – Heartworm test
$50 – Puppy vaccinations
$75 – Spay/neuter one pet
$100 – One day of parvovirus treatment
$300 – Heartworm treatment
$500 – One month of behavioral training
Dallas Pets Alive! is an exempt organization as described in Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, EIN 46-2768869